|About the Department
The Viking Union connects a dynamic and diverse campus community, providing welcoming, supportive spaces and activities that advance engagement in leadership, service, adventure, and celebration. We continually strive to enhance the Western Experience through supporting student leadership, campus involvement, creative expression, and by providing services, recreation, and events in our venues. Learn more about the Viking Union's Core Beliefs. We are the home of the Associated Students, Ethnic Student Center, Western Involvement Network, VU Leadership and Community Engagement, Student Advocacy & Identity Resource Center, Viking Outdoor Recreation, KUGS 89.3 FM, the new Multicultural Center and so much more.
Enrollment and Student Services and the Viking Union support Western's mission, which states that together with our students, staff, and faculty, we are committed to making a positive impact in the state and the world with a shared focus on academic excellence and inclusive achievement. We encourage applications from people of color, people with disabilities, marginalized genders, veterans, and other candidates from underrepresented backgrounds and with diverse experiences interested in this opportunity.
|About the Position
The Ethnic Student Center (ESC) is a student-centered organization within the Association Students (AS) of Western Washington University and was established in 1991. Our goal is to help students Affirm their identity, Build a sense of community, and Cultivate leadership (Our "ABCs"). The ESC is home to 19 diverse clubs that are open to students of all backgrounds. These clubs promote the values of the ESC and offer a “home away from home” for all students. Many students within the ESC have moved on to become leaders on campus and in the community.
The temporary ESC Programming and Events Coordinator will be responsible for the planning, budgeting, management and execution of several major programs and events sponsored and produced by the Center. The position will focus on working with the students to celebrate their heritage, their cultures, and their identities through small and large programs and events, including a Leadership series, Center sponsored retreats, a graduation celebration, and individual programs throughout the academic year. The WA State classification for this position is: Events Coordinator 2
Position Duties and Responsibilities:
70% Provide program and event leadership for the ESC:
- Provide leadership and program management for major recurring ESC programs/events including, but not limited to, the ESC Leadership Series, ESC Retreats, Culture Shock, and ESC Graduation.
- Develop program resources, prepare publicity packets and marketing materials, manage complex scheduling, expenditure requests, permits, event logistics, registration, travel, equipment, supplies, and coordinating volunteers and temporary student employees.
- Prepare third party contracts and coordinate with Assistant Director for Multicultural Student Engagement, Executive Director for Student Engagement/VU Director, and the VU Business Services & Planning.
- Provide on-site advisement at events as warranted by program needs, sometimes in the evenings on weekends.
- Coach, educate, and mentor students on programs and events, advise on student learning objectives and culturally relevant educational material and topics.
- Conduct research on diverse and culturally relevant programs and events for the ESC, including leadership activities, and potential themes for programs and events.
- Review international, national, regional, local, and relevant cultural publications, websites, articles, and documents for potential programs and events for the ESC.
- Analyze and recommend program and event options to student groups and the Assistant Director for Multicultural Student Engagement based on research.
- Discuss student-learning outcomes for programs and events with the Assistant Director for Multicultural Student Engagement.
- Provide developmental and educational opportunities to student groups and student leadership teams to broaden their holistic educational experience at Western.
- Foster the values of intercultural fluency, self-awareness and humility when exploring concepts, programs and events that honor the intersection of identities and the broad spectrum of lived experiences.
- Provide students with leadership and development experiences that center and affirm BIPOC cultures and identities.
- Build and maintain working relationships with other campus. departments/colleagues related to program objectives or needs. Specifically, this program will work with Viking Union and AS programs, including the LEADS Program, Viking Outdoor Recreation, and the AS REP Program.
- This position will work with the Multicultural Student Services area to support campus-wide student educational and programmatic programs focused on Equity, Inclusion, Access and Diversity.
- This position will work with faculty and staff across campus who support the equity, inclusion, access, and diversity in shared programming.
- Work with the Assistant Director for Multicultural Student Engagement on budget forecasting, expenditure requests, and budget tracking.
15% ESC Space and Student Personnel Management
- Supervise the ESC Office Assistants. This includes; scheduling, time sheet approval, and general resource support.
- Support the AD-MSE in the hiring and training of ESC Office Assistants.
- Help support t the work of student employees focused on reception and programmatic space support in the ESC, including upkeep of the spaces in the ESC.
- Interface with VU Building support services for maintenance, IT, and other facility needs.
- Work with VU Reservations and MCC Stakeholders to manage non-EMS related ESC spaces and space requests.
- This position supports students in navigating the institution via referral and support.
- Connect students to appropriate resources on campus and in the community.
- Support ad hoc and special events and meetings in the ESC, advising students in leadership and in community building practices.
5% Other Duties as Assigned
- Provide general leadership and management support of the ESC in the absence of the Assistant Director of Multicultural Student Engagement.
- Other duties as assigned
Staff Statement of Diversity/Cultural Engagement and Responsiveness:
- The Temporary ESC Programming & Events Manager engages in professional development opportunities that support the continued growth of cultural responsiveness and effectiveness in the areas of inclusion, diversity, multicultural and cross-cultural communication, and other related topics.
- The Temporary ESC Programming & Events Manager works in support of:
- An inclusive and culturally responsive environment for staff, students and visitors.
- Development of cultural engagement and responsiveness skills.
- The delivery of programs that support diversity and inclusion objectives of the campus community.
***cultural engagement, cultural responsiveness, and the need for culturally bound knowledge is integrated into the fabric of all we do so a percentage doesn't apply here - this is ongoing work with which this position will continually engage within the department.