||Maintenance Mechanic 2
|About the University
||Western Washington University, with over 16,000 students in seven colleges and the graduate school, is nationally recognized for its educational programs, students and faculty. The campus is located in Bellingham, Washington, a coastal community of 90,000 overlooking Bellingham Bay, the San Juan Islands and the North Cascades Mountain range. The city lies 90 miles north of Seattle and 60 miles south of Vancouver, British Columbia. Western is the highest-ranking public, master's-granting university in the Pacific Northwest, according to the 2019 U.S. News & World Report rankings.
|About the Department
||The Facilities Management Department supports Western's mission, which states that together with our students, staff, and faculty, we are committed to making a positive impact in the state and the world with a shared focus on academic excellence and inclusive achievement. We encourage applications from women, people of color, people with disabilities, veterans, and other candidates from underrepresented backgrounds and with diverse experiences interested in this opportunity.
|About the Position
The Maintenance Mechanic 2 safely performs duties repairing, replacing and/or installing in the carpentry, painting, plumbing and electrical trades along with a variety of skilled work for preventive maintenance and repairs. This position will also perform additional duties associated with Academic Maintenance. This position must be available for after hour call outs for emergency response. Responsibilities include:
- Repair and maintain machinery and mechanical equipment in accordance with diagrams, sketches, operating manuals, manufacturers' specifications, or supervisor(s) instructions, using hand and power tools, precision measuring or testing devices. Responsible for complete maintenance of area of assignment.
- Observe and adjust a wide variety of mechanical machines and devices in operation to assure proper operation, including pumps, motors, conveyors, compressors and building equipment.
- Dismantle machines and devices for servicing, repair, or replacement of parts.
- Adjust devices, instruments, belts, etc.
- Lubricate and clean pumps, motors, fans, machinery equipment, and operating hardware.
- Repair or replace damaged or defective soap, towel and tissue dispensers, mirrors, etc.
- Replace washers packing, or parts on faucets, flushometers, valves, traps, etc.
- Clear stoppages in sanitary or storm drainage systems using plumber's snake, vacuum or manual plungers.
- Replace gaskets and seals on water coolers and other equipment.
- Replace defective bulbs, sets, switches, fuses, and receptacles in buildings or on the exterior areas of the University.
- Regulate steam or hot water equipment in mechanical rooms, offices, residence areas, etc. Adjust valves, thermostats, and dampers.
- Perform laboring or other semi-skilled duties including drilling, digging, minor roof repair or cleaning of roof gutters, replacement of missing floor or ceiling tile.
All employees must comply with our Immunization policies, including COVID vaccination by time of hire and Proof of Rubeola Measles Immunity within 60-days of hire. Please reach out to HR@wwu.edu if you need information regarding medical or religious exemption and applicable accommodations.
- High school graduation or equivalent.
- Four years of journey-level experience in a skilled mechanical trade to include one or all of the following trades: mechanic, plumber, electrician or HVAC technician, all in a commercial, institutional or industrial environment.
- Read and understand written information and instructions. Communicate clearly using written, graphic, and verbal means.
- Demonstrated ability to maintain and use hand and power tools safely as required for the trade.
- Ability to read and understand written information and instructions.
- Ability to communicate clearly.
- Experience working in sensitive situations such as operational offices, classrooms, dorm rooms, rest rooms, etc.
- Valid driver’s license or the ability to obtain one prior to starting work in order to drive a state-owned vehicle for travel to work locations.
- Physically perform essential job functions with or without reasonable accommodation.
- Ability to perform daily work tasks independently under limited supervision.
- Possess technical accuracy and recordkeeping skills.
- Ability to work with computer hardware and software required to track work orders and record time worked.
- Possess strong interpersonal skills and ability to work in a friendly and cooperative manner with students, staff, and faculty at all levels of the organization, and in contacts with the public.
- Ability to manage time well and work under pressure situations with tight schedules and deadlines to complete projects.
- Residential and commercial building maintenance experience.
- Proficient in the use of computers including skills with Microsoft Word, Excel, and Outlook.
- Experience with operation and maintenance of commercial, institutional or industrial facilities, grounds and utilities for each of the following skilled trades: mechanical, plumbing, electrical, and heating, ventilation, & air conditioning (HVAC).
- A strong knowledge of applicable Washington Administrative Code (WAC) regulations and local building and plumbing codes.
- A strong knowledge of Washington Industrial Safety and Health Act (WISHA) Occupational Safety and Health Agency (OSHA) rules and regulations, standard job safety rules, and proper use of a face respirator.
- Willing to certify in asbestos abatement.
||Salary Range 47G: $51,432-58,260; an excellent benefits package is included.
||This position is part of bargaining unit B and is covered by the collective bargaining agreement with Washington Federation of State Employees.
A cover letter and resume are required and should address your experience related to the position responsibilities and the required and preferred qualifications.
Please include the names and contact information of three professional references.
|Closing Date Notes
||Position is open until filled