||Associate Director, Enterprise Application Services
|About the University
||Western Washington University, with over 16,000 students in seven colleges and the graduate school, is nationally recognized for its educational programs, students and faculty. The campus is located in Bellingham, Washington, a coastal community of 90,000 overlooking Bellingham Bay, the San Juan Islands and the North Cascades Mountain range. The city lies 90 miles north of Seattle and 60 miles south of Vancouver, British Columbia. Western is the highest-ranking public, master's-granting university in the Pacific Northwest, according to the 2019 U.S. News & World Report rankings.
|About the Department
Enterprise Application Services (EAS) includes the teams of Analysis, Programming & Integration (API), Database Administration & Systems Maintenance, and Project Management Office (PMO). EAS partners with the University to plan, acquire, develop, and maintain core operational and student support systems. We are committed to positively impacting the state and the world with a shared focus on academic excellence and inclusive achievement. We encourage applications from women, people of color, people with disabilities, veterans, and other candidates from underrepresented backgrounds and with diverse experiences interested in this opportunity.
|About the Position
||The Associate Director in EAS leads the API team in coordinating the implementation, development, integration, and maintenance of enterprise-wide applications. Many of these mission-critical applications are cloud-based Software as a Service (SaaS) or hosted on campus. The centrally managed ERP system is Ellucian Banner. This team also supports OnBase Content Management, data warehouses, Argos, and other University widely used applications, e.g., Degree Works. This position requires a hands-on role, collaborating with functional areas to determine their needs, providing creative and out-of-the-box solutions and advice, and ensuring standards and compliance.
This position supervises a team of Systems and Applications Analysts. Together with the EAS Director and other managers, identifies upcoming challenges in the IT landscape, transforms and positions the team to meet the demands as priorities change with a fast turnaround time. The Associate Director fosters a collaborative environment between EAS and other departments across the campus to develop plans to meet institutional objectives and provide support resources. A key responsibility of this position is to coach, mentor, and develop other IT personnel and model a high degree of emotional intelligence in executing duties. Some remote work will be considered for this position, but this position is not anticipated to be fully remote.
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, MIS or related field plus seven (7) years of relevant professional experience or an equivalent combination of education and experience sufficient to successfully perform the job’s essential duties such as those listed above
- Five (5) years experience in analysis; the ability to translate processes and information from management and functional users into precise requirements and technical specifications
- Four (4) years experience supporting functional end-users
- Four (4) years of practical IT managerial experience with direct reports in a fast-paced environment
- Demonstrated ability to plan and manage all aspects of integration of various information systems
- Excellent leadership, prioritization, and organizational skills
- Proficiency in budgeting and strategic use of IT staff
- Demonstrated ability to maintain confidentiality and familiarity with the privacy and protection of sensitive data (i.e., FERPA, HIPAA, PCI, etc.)
- Strong customer service and interpersonal skills with the ability to work effectively with diverse employees and differing opinions
- Experience in a diverse and inclusive environment
- Experience with relational database management systems such as Oracle, MS SQL Server, MySQL, etc.
- Effective written and verbal communication skills with both technical and non-technical people on highly technical and complex topics
- Strong programming knowledge of modern object-oriented languages (e.g., Java, C#) and frameworks (e.g., .NET, Grails)
- Strong programming knowledge of PL/SQL or T-SQL
- Demonstration of excellent social and emotional intelligence in leadership
- Strong knowledge of the Oracle DBMS environment and tools
- Experience in Ellucian Banner, Degree Works, Evisions Argos
- Experience in Agile software development methodology
- Working knowledge of Unix OS and scripting
- Experience with one or more of the following: PL/SQL, Oracle Tools, SQL Server, .NET, SSIS/SSAS, C#, Java, Groovy/Grails, Git, O/R mapping
- Knowledge of network infrastructure
- Knowledge in web application development
- Knowledge of data analytics tools and the design and development of KPIs, dashboards, interactive reports, data warehouses, data mart schemas, and OLAP cubes
- Experience with SaaS applications; integrations using APIs, RESTful Web services, etc.
- Experience deploying IaaS, PaaS services
- Experience in a higher education institution
- Thorough understanding of and familiarity with information technology and related trends
- Curiosity, creativity, and flexibility
||All employees must comply with our Immunization policies, including COVID vaccination by time of hire and Proof of Rubeola Measles Immunity within 60-days of hire. Please reach out to HR@wwu.edu if you need information regarding medical or religious exemption and applicable accommodations.
||Starting salary range is $99,864-$116,567, commensurate with experience. Includes an excellent benefits package.
A cover letter and resume are required and should address your experience related to the position responsibilities and the required and preferred qualifications.
Please include the names and contact information of three professional references.
Accessibility, equity, diversity, and inclusion are core values at Western Washington University. Please include a brief statement describing your demonstrated leadership skills, abilities, and commitments to advancing these core values and cultivating work environments that are equitable and inclusive of employees with diverse cultural backgrounds and social identities. The statement should include both past experiences and plans for future contributions. (Please limit to 500 words)
|Closing Date Notes
||Application review begins November 30, 2021; position is open until filled.