||Teaching and Learning Support Specialist
|About the University
||Western Washington University, with over 16,000 students in seven colleges and the graduate school, is nationally recognized for its educational programs, students and faculty. The campus is located in Bellingham, Washington, a coastal community of 90,000 overlooking Bellingham Bay, the San Juan Islands and the North Cascades Mountain range. The city lies 90 miles north of Seattle and 60 miles south of Vancouver, British Columbia. Western is the highest-ranking public, master's-granting university in the Pacific Northwest, according to the 2019 U.S. News & World Report rankings.
|About the Department
Outreach and Continuing Education (OCE) at Western Washington University expands and diversifies Western’s offerings throughout the Puget Sound region, the state of Washington, and globally to provide learning options for the contemporary student.
OCE connects diverse learners to the Western Experience by collaborating with colleges, departments and the community, linking university resources with educational needs and opportunities —including international education opportunities—in support of the State’s education attainment goals and Western’s strategic goals.
OCE supports Western’s mission, which states that together with our students, staff, and faculty, we are committed to making a positive impact in the state and the world with a shared focus on academic excellence and inclusive achievement. We encourage applications from women, people of color, people with disabilities, veterans, and other candidates from underrepresented backgrounds and with diverse experiences interested in this opportunity.
For more information on Outreach and Continuing Education, please visit our website.
|About the Position
The Outreach and Continuing Education (OCE) Teaching and Learning Support Specialist will be a part of OCE's instructional design and curriculum services team to provide teaching and learning and educational technology support and training for faculty and staff in the development and delivery of workshops and courses, to manage documentation and materials for instructional projects, and to develop media in support of academic and professional programs in Bellingham, online, and other locations.
Additionally, this position will be responsible for synchronous and asynchronous events and classes, including reviewing instructional strategies with presenters, set-up and testing of equipment, and managing live conversations and delivery of content. This position will serve as OCE's primary point person for Canvas, Western's LMS, and for other educational technology platforms and programs. This position will collaborate with units across OCE and the University to provide assistance with special projects; and support the general functions and operations of OCE. This position reports to the OCE Instructional Designer and Manager of Western Online.
In all aspects of the position, the Teaching and Learning Support Specialist is responsible for ensuring incorporation of accessibility, diversity, equity, and inclusiveness perspectives throughout functional responsibility areas, in alignment with the Unit and University’s broader efforts to make Western a place where all community members feel truly safe, supported and included.
Typical duties include:
- Work collaboratively with academic programs, faculty, and staff in conjunction with OCE's instructional design team to design and develop instructional content and media for programs and courses, following field-standard instructional design methods and practices and acknowledging university strategic efforts for program development
- Follow and promote instructional design and universal design for learning (UDL) guidelines and web content accessibility guidelines (WCAG) standards in the development of instructional materials
- Research, investigate, and present on instructional strategies, methods, and technologies to support the teaching and learning process
- Manage and maintain learning objects on course sites and across platforms, specifically for Western's learning management system (Canvas)
- Design and implement interactive, media-based instructional materials to address teaching and learning needs in collaboration with academic and outreach-focused units Provide guidance to academic programs as it pertains to distance education technology solutions, including web conferencing, interactive television (ITV), and other media-based solutions
- Support synchronous solutions for academic programs in collaboration with Western/OCE stakeholders and partner institutions
- Identify new solutions and opportunities for media-based technologies to address current and future programmatic needs
- Serve as the primary resource for questions pertaining to OCE's use of Western's LMS (Canvas)
- Research and identify solutions to LMS-related issues
- Support program needs related to the LMS (Canvas), including account creation, course creation, content creation, etc. in consultation with the instructional design team
- Support the instructional design team in identifying, offering and developing trainings and professional development opportunities for faculty and staff
- Contribute to the unit, OCE, and Western's work on diversity, equity, inclusion, anti-racism, and accessibility through conversations and professional development * Understanding of ideas related to diversity, equity, inclusion, anti-racism, and accessibility in instructional settings and how to address those priorities through training and programming
- Engage in university activities, service, and professional development in consultation with supervisor and unit head
- Other duties and projects as assigned
For Washington State HR purposes, this position is classified as a Program Specialist 2.
- Bachelor’s Degree
- 3 years of related experience in teaching or training
- Experience supporting teaching and learning using instructional technologies
- Experience using and supporting a learning management system
- Demonstrated proficiency in the use of educational technology and media in support of instruction (video conferencing, video creation/editing, and other digital tools)
- Demonstrated experience generating media-based resources (tutorials, documentation, web-based content, etc.)
- Demonstrated ability to work collaboratively with diverse audiences, as well as a demonstrated record of or commitment to supporting an organizational culture that emphasizes accessibility, diversity, equity, and inclusion.
- Demonstrated proficiency in Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook)
- Demonstrated strong written and oral communication skills
- Strong collaboration skills
- Ability to work flexible hours, including evenings and weekends
- Washington State driver’s license or ability to travel from location to location
- Master’s degree in communication, education, educational technology, or related field
- Experience working with faculty and programs in higher education
- Experience teaching or training in higher education settings
- Experience supporting users with a learning management system (e.g. Canvas)
- Experience using educational technology to address teaching and learning needs (e.g. Panopto, Zoom, Google suite, WordPress, and Microsoft Teams)
- Additional education, certifications, or experience related to position functions
||All employees must comply with our Immunization policies, including COVID vaccination by time of hire and Proof of Rubeola Measles Immunity within 60-days of hire. Please reach out to HR@wwu.edu if you need information regarding medical or religious exemption and applicable accommodations.
||New hires typically start at $3,701/month, including an excellent benefits package.
||This position is part of bargaining unit PT and is covered by the collective bargaining agreement with Public School Employees of WWU.
A cover letter and resume are required and should address your experience related to the position responsibilities and the required and preferred qualifications.
Please include the names and contact information of three professional references.
|Closing Date Notes
||Position closes 10/28/2021 at 11:55 pm