||Visual Media Producer
|About the University
Western Washington University (Western) invites applications for the position of Visual Media Producer. This position falls within University Relations and Marketing, which supports Western’s mission to bring together individuals of diverse backgrounds and perspectives in an inclusive, student-centered university that develops the potential of learners and the well-being of communities. We encourage applications from women, people of color, people with disabilities, veterans, and other candidates from underrepresented backgrounds and those with diverse experiences interested in this opportunity.
Western, with over 16,000 students in seven colleges and the graduate school, is nationally recognized for its educational programs, students and faculty. The campus is located in Bellingham, Washington, a coastal community of 90,000 overlooking Bellingham Bay, the San Juan Islands and the North Cascades Mountain range. The city lies 90 miles north of Seattle and 60 miles south of Vancouver, British Columbia. Western is the highest-ranking public, master's-granting university in the Pacific Northwest, according to the 2019 U.S. News & World Report rankings. Western’s commitment to and engagement with advancing diversity and inclusion can be found on the university’s Diversity Webpage.
|About the Department
University Relations & Marketing leads strategic marketing, communications and community relations activities that enhance awareness, strengthen our brand and increase engagement with our many diverse audiences.
University Relations & Marketing focuses on accessibility, diversity, and equity, applying an inclusion lens in our policies, practices, and marketing and storytelling efforts and with our partners across campus.
We support Western's mission, which states that together with our students, staff, and faculty, we are committed to making a positive impact in the state and the world with a shared focus on academic excellence and inclusive achievement.
|About the Position
University Marketing is seeking a skilled, professional Videographer. You are a storyteller responsible for working with university leadership and the marketing team to produce, from start to finish, innovative, on-brand, compelling stories to engage prospective students and other important external audiences. You are responsible for creating original content through eye-catching footage and evocative music, editing different types of videos and developing custom motion graphics. You are competent and comfortable in crafting a story. You can juggle multiple projects with varying deadlines. You will work directly with the director of university marketing to provide creative input on strategy, as well as collaborate with other team members on shared goals and efforts.
40% Directs and Manages Westerns Video Visual Storytelling
- Create state-of-the-art visual storytelling using strategic planning and marketing acumen.
- Develop and create storyboards and shot lists.
- Conduct interviews, create and work with scripts and directions.
- Secure permissions, create and adhere to a shooting schedule.
- Shoot video, recording quality sound, ensuring proper lighting conditions.
- Edit video, editing content to tell an impactful story, implementing color grading of footage as required, creating short motion graphics and animations when necessary, and implementing audio sweetening.
- Secure royalty-free music, integrating it appropriately within the sound bed.
- Manage a variety of concurrent projects in a fast-paced environment.
40% Strategic Leadership for Visual Marketing Coordination, Preparation and Development
- Collaborate, contribute and work together closely with University Marketing colleagues and campus partners including Admissions, WebTech, the colleges and academic departments and other campus organizations including writers, social media and marketing managers, designers, video and photo professionals to assist them with visioning, coordinating and developing visual specific elements of storytelling to promote Western to external audiences.
- Lead in the planning of multimedia stories including determining shot locations, identifying the best interview subjects and specifically identify how visual storytelling will best complement and enhance other multimedia social media, online and broadcast content to project Western's brand via social media, paid advertising, web, print media, and online content.
- Ensure your strategic input to visual storytelling reflects sensitivity to Accessibility, Diversity, Equity and Inclusion, a critical element in Western’s Strategic Plans.
- Work directly with the director of University Marketing to provide creative input on strategy.
- Lead the development of video marketing materials to project Western's brand via social media, paid advertising, web, print media, and online content.
- Analyze and define external video marketing needs then formulate strategic and operational approaches to create and develop effective visual storytelling.
- Demonstrate strong support for Westerns emphasis on diversity and inclusion.
- Assist in the development of policies, and in the research and implementation of software solutions for improving video production workflow and communication across visual storytelling staff in multiple offices.
- Responsible for identifying compelling stories across the University that promote the University mission.
- Responsible for the quality of work related to marketing digital videos produced.
- Serve as the project manager for all major external/marketing video projects.
- Serve as a strategic member of the University Marketing team by providing key knowledge regarding methods and procedures of the design and development of digital media.
10% Impact Review and Assessment
- Working within Western's brand guidelines, publish university-wide marketing videos via multiple digital platforms including Vimeo, YouTube, Facebook, university websites and digital magazines and other appropriate media channels.
- Monitor impact of videos on university audiences through review and analysis of metrics and other data such as Google, Vimeo and YouTube analytics to assess the impact of visual story-telling to enhance viewership and to meet the mission of raising brand recognition and identity for Western.
- Assess video productions for adherence to University Marketings accessibility, diversity, equity and inclusion goals.
- Supervise and manage staff and student videographers.
- Evaluate performance, train and coach videographer staff.
- Maintain all video equipment, keep up-to-date on equipment trends, training and utilization of new equipment.
- Manage tasks and assignments in the project management system, ClickUp.
- Establish project tracking, monitoring deadlines and assessment in the project management system, ClickUp.
- Review and monitor university video policies.
- Support and cultivate an inclusive work environment and work product that reflects sensitivity to those from diverse cultural backgrounds and social identities.
- Collaborate and build partnerships with outside video production vendors and university video teams including University Communications and Academic Technology.
- Streamline and establish a robust and accessible file management system for video assets. Maintain active role in the University Marketing leadership team.
- A minimum of five years of professional video work experience and Bachelor’s degree in visual journalism, photojournalism, broadcasting, or related field or equivalent education and work experience.
- Exceptional core video storytelling skills, including a high command of video, sound, camera, lights, computers and software used to produce visual and audio journalism.
- Ability to be a self-starter and manage workload effectively with minimal supervision.
- Demonstrated skill with advanced visual storytelling and a commitment to telling compelling stories about Western for key external audiences.
- Work creatively and efficiently with others under deadline pressure.
- Ability to work calmly and professionally in occasionally high pressure situations
- Excellent communication skills in working professionally and collegially with campus partners such as writers, social media, marketing, designers, video and photo professionals – to promote Western to external audiences.
- Demonstrated experience developing and producing multimedia marketing pieces, including video, audio and interactive content for distribution both to targeted and broad audiences.
- Demonstrated record of or commitment to supporting an organizational culture that emphasizes accessibility, diversity, equity, and inclusion and demonstrated ability to cultivate an inclusive workplace environment, especially sensitive to faculty, staff, and students from diverse cultural backgrounds and social identities
- Demonstrated video shooting skills such as techniques in spatial relationships, focus, framing, lighting.
- Demonstrated understanding of brand and the ability to ensure videos are consistent and follow brand guidelines.
- Conversant with transcoding files for multi-media formats including web and other digital distribution media.
- Understand and accurately apply copyright regulations and privacy laws.
- Demonstrated skills and experience in video editing including image manipulation, color correction, and color grading techniques.
- Knowledge of social media and how to engage audiences on digital platforms in the public space
- Experience producing/editing video for social media platforms and audiences that effectively advances values and brand
- Demonstrated knowledge of metrics and other data –such as Google, Vimeo and YouTube analytics – to assess impact of visual story-telling to enhance viewership and to meet mission of raising brand recognition and identity for Western.
- Knowledge and experience with Apple Mac editing environment.
- Experience with Studio Network Solutions EVO
- Experience using state-of-the-art techniques in order to provide media needs for exhibition, publication, press release, websites, social media, research, public relations or preservation purposes.
- Experience working with Marketing as well as constituents across a large, decentralized organization to provide video services that support the brand.
- Experience in design of motion graphics, layout, and/or computer-generated animation.
- Experience flying drones for videography.
- Experience working in project management software (ClickUp, Basecamp, Smartsheets, etc.)
$71,500 - $91,000 commensurate with experience, including an excellent benefits package
To apply, please submit:
- A cover letter addressing the required and preferred qualifications, as well as your resume
- Applicants must submit a resume reel to be considered for this position
- Names and contact information for three references
|Closing Date Notes
||Application review begins October 1, 2021; position is open until filled