|About the Department
The Facilities Management Department supports Western's mission, which states that together with our students, staff, and faculty, we are committed to making a positive impact in the state and the world with a shared focus on academic excellence and inclusive achievement. We encourage applications from women, people of color, people with disabilities, veterans, and other candidates from underrepresented backgrounds and with diverse experiences interested in this opportunity.
In Facilities Management, we value employees and recognize how vital it is to invest in your development. Here you will find opportunities to grow, paid license renewal and continuing education credits, and ongoing training.
|About the Position
As one of our Plumber/Pipefitter/Steamfitters, you will be expected to work in an independent manner performing journey level plumbing, steamfitting, and related work to include: inspecting and diagnosing malfunctions; maintaining, repairing, and testing plumbing, heating, and cooling systems and components, as well as other process piping systems. Your work will also include the installation and modification of these systems.
You will take direction from the shop lead and supervisor and will be expected to relate well with a variety of people, including students, faculty, and staff. You will be performing plumbing/pipefitting/steamfitting functions to include maintaining and renovating the university facilities.
Your duties and responsibilities will include:
- Reading and interpreting design documents and specifications; laying out and constructing piping assemblies with respect to walls, structures, and other obstructions, allowing for proper operation, expansion and contraction, and alignment using fittings, hangers, anchors, guides in accordance with accepted pipe fitting practice and applicable codes
- Organizing, leading, instructing helpers, and coordinating the work of other trades, as required to complete estimates
- Estimating time and materials needed to complete work
- Cutting and welding with oxyacetylene torches; SMAW all types of pressure pipe lines; GTAW all types of light gauge metals
- Cutting, fitting, fabricating and assembling a wide variety of articles, materials, and devices including steel, brass, glass, plastic, cast iron, copper, corrosion-resistant pipe, tile, concrete and transite
- Constructing various types of pipe joints for high or low pressure systems, including treading, brazing, soldering, or welding
- Maintaining and repairing piping, tanks and pressure vessels for fuels, steam, condensate, water, air, gas, and draining systems
- Installation, serving, field repair and adjusting pumps, ejectors, valves, dishwashers, stills, heat exchangers, and coils
- Removing, replacing, or installing of all types of plumbing fixtures such as water closets, sinks, drinking fountains, showers, kitchen, laboratory and other equipment
- Inspecting and diagnosing malfunctions; repairing, maintaining, and testing automatic fire sprinkler and standpipe systems, plumbing, heating, cooling, steam, swimming pool, and gas systems and equipment, and other process piping systems
This position may be listed as essential personnel, which means you must report to work during suspended operations.
You may perform tasks requiring the use of a respirator; you will be required to pass a fit test, which includes the need to be clean shaven.
Prior to a new hire, a fingerprint background check including a criminal history will be conducted. Information about the background check will not necessarily preclude employment but will be considered in determining your suitability and competence to perform in the position.