||AS Environmental & Sustainability Programs Director 2020-2021
|About the Department
The AS Environmental & Sustainability Programs (ESP) offers the education and resources necessary to promote environmentalism and provides opportunities to become actively involved in sustainable practices through events, volunteering, and student activism.
|About the Position
The Environmental & Sustainability Programs (ESP) Director is responsible for managing the overall operations of the Environmental Center. This includes training, supervising and facilitating programs. They will also assist in program development and implementation for the Environmental Center. The ESP Director is also responsible for the overall management and collaboration of the Outback Farm, Sustainable Action Fund, the Environmental Center and Alternative Transportation Program.
|Terms of Position
This is a four quarter position. This position begins the Monday the first week of summer quarter and ends the Friday of finals week the following spring quarter. This position works an average of 19 hours per week. The position holder may work more some weeks and less other weeks depending on the office’s needs. The position holder is neither required nor expected to work during intersession, winter break or spring break.
- Maintain a minimum credit load throughout term of position of 6 credits for undergraduates and 4 credits for graduates.
- Maintain a minimum of a 2.00 cumulative grade point average.
- Ability to complete the entire term of the position.
Knowledge or experience with Budget Management.
Ability to communicate in an effective manner that is welcoming to wide variety of people.
Experience mediating or resolving interpersonal conflict.
Ability to work independently and responsibly.
Ability to work within deadlines and problem solve.
Effective organizational and time management skills.
Demonstrated ability to work collaboratively with people of diverse backgrounds and opinions.
Ability to use office productivity software and to assist others in using programs such as Word, Excel, and Outlook.
Knowledge of department and the position’s responsibilities.
AS Employment Responsibilities
Environmental and Sustainability Programs Responsibilities
- Uphold the ESP mission statement by:
- Providing unbiased, nonjudgmental, and accurate information to students.
- Maintaining up-to-date records and information of organizations for referrals.
- Providing a confidential, safe, and inclusive space for students.
- Maintaining client confidentiality in conversations, written correspondence, and other forms of communication
- Establishing and maintaining active working relationships with other ESP departments and team members.
- Facilitating updates of the offices’ libraries and subscriptions to magazine and journals.
- Maintaining and establishing library contacts for the cataloging of office libraries.
- Enhance teamwork and comradely by:
- Facilitating weekly ESP staff meetings, weekly check-ins with each department/program, and any additional departmental activities.
- Organize and participate in ESP inclusive events (such as Earth Day Festival, Transportation Week, Red Square Info Fair, AS Job Fair, etc.) by:
- Coordinating activities, materials, and tabling schedules for ESP involvement in these events.
- Assess and track office use and program quality by:
- Developing and maintaining tracking systems in order to assess client use, frequently asked questions/concerns, etc.
- Collecting event/program data through pre-event logs and post-event logs.
- Collecting audience evaluations, including audience demographics, promotion success, relevance and success of the program in meeting needs of the student body, etc. at all events and enter results in surveymonkey.com.
- Ensure that ESP Financial decisions are made responsibly and properly by:
- Reviewing all departmental budgets on a monthly basis.
- Evaluating each budget regularly to assess expenditures.
- Filling out budget forms per AS/ESP standards.
- Serving as Administrative ESP Student Budget Coordinator and serving as co- Student Budget Coordinator for the Environmental Center.
- Providing information and connection to departmental, organizational, and campus funding sources.
- Ensure that all ESP employees, interns and volunteers are adequately trained by:
- Conducting new employee orientation in Fall Quarter, including departmental training of coordinators, assistants, and hourly staff and assisting the training of work studies and volunteers.
- Offering training pertinent to the ESP throughout the year.
- Providing information and education at ESP staff meetings.
- Planning staff appreciation activities and acknowledging achievements on a regular basis, at least once a quarter.
- Ensure ESP staff members are fulfilling their job responsibilities by:
- Regularly meeting with the Advisor of the ESP to discuss personnel and programming questions and concerns.
- Conducting one-on-one staff meetings with ESP departments at least every other week as well as managing all four programs (WST, EC, SAF, and the Outback).
- Chairing the Environmental and Sustainability Programs Staff meetings at least three times per month.
- Planning long and short term goals for the department with the ESP staff and the Advisor.
- Collecting supervisor and employee evaluations at the end of the quarter and providing one-on-one meetings with office coordinators to discuss job performance.
- Mediating and resolving conflicts within the department.
- Providing training and tools for conflict and communication within working relationships.
- Serving as a resource for referrals or information about employee expectations and consequences of negligence of the ethics codes.
- Ensure ESP events are catering to needs of students by:
- Setting deadlines for expenditure requests, budget proposals, and other paperwork.
- Facilitating the collection of audience evaluations.
- Maintaining program planning worksheets (event logs), co-sponsorship records and agreement forms, contracts, and programmer event evaluations for all ESP offices to assist in future planning.
- Manage and distribute AS ESP Supplemental Funding to appropriate departmental programs.
- Attending ESP events on a regular basis, at least once per office per quarter.
- Promote campus awareness of the Environmental and Programs by:
- Coordinating publicity for the Environmental and Sustainability Programs, including but not limited to posters, bookmarks, banners, Facebook.com page, and more.
- Being available for speaking engagements, newspaper, and radio interviews as needed.
- Working closely with the Environmental Center’s Coordinator to create a promotion plan for the ESP.
- Act as departmental liaison to the AS organization and campus community by:
- Serving on the following committees:
- AS Management Council.
- Work Study and salaried staff hiring committees.
- AS Fall Staff Development planning committee during summer quarter.
- Sustainable Action Fund Committee.
- Establishing appropriate working relationships with AS offices and The Office of Sustainability.
- Establishing departmental connections with:
- Prevention and Wellness Services.
- Equal Opportunity Office.
- Disability Resources for Students.
- Center for Law, Diversity and Justice.
- Huxley College of the Environment.
||All majors are encouraged to apply.
||Starting hourly rate of $16.35
A cover letter and resume are required and should address your experience related to the position responsibilities and the required and preferred qualifications. In your cover letter please also specifically address the following questions:
1. Why are you interested in working for the Associated Students?
2. Why are you interested in working in this position?
3. What specific skills, knowledge, and/or experience (paid and volunteer) do you have that would help you be successful in this position?
4. Will you be available for all mandatory AS Staff Development trainings (this will not conflict with school) including Summer Training on June 22nd, Fall Training between September 7th – 18th, Winter training on Jan 4th, and Spring training on March 29th?
5. What is your schedule of availability for a job interview?
|Closing Date Notes
||Application open until April 10th.