||AS Assistant Director for Club Finances 2020-2021
|About the Department
The AS Club Activities Office, aka “The Club Hub,” empowers, supports, and provides opportunities for diverse student interests and community building within clubs. This office serves clubs as a resource for leadership and organizational development, as well as event planning and programming. The Club Hub is committed to ensuring all students can become involved and engaged in their Western community.
|About the Position
The AS Clubs Financial Manager is hired to assist club budget authorities with their fiscal responsibilities and help with the day-to-day operation of the Associated Students (AS). The AS Clubs Financial Manager assists in interpreting the AS financial policies, procedures, budgeting and primarily provides support to AS Clubs.
|Terms of Position
This is a three quarter position. This position starts the Monday two weeks before the start of classes fall quarter and ends the Friday of finals week the following spring quarter. The position requires 40 hours of work to be done over the summer for planning and implementation of fall quarter’s initial events. This position works an average of 15 hours per week. The position holder may work more some weeks and less other weeks depending on the office’s needs. The position holder is neither required nor expected to work during intersession, winter break or spring break.
- Maintain a minimum credit load throughout term of position of 6 credits for undergraduates and 4 credits for graduates.
- Maintain a minimum of a 2.00 cumulative grade point average.
- Ability to complete the entire term of the position.
- Experience successfully leading volunteers, peers, or employees.
- Knowledge or experience with Budget Management.
- Ability to communicate in an effective manner that is welcoming to wide variety of people.
- Experience mediating or resolving interpersonal conflict.
- Ability to work independently and responsibly.
- Ability to work within deadlines and problem solve.
- Effective organizational and time management skills.
- Demonstrated ability to work collaboratively with people of diverse backgrounds and opinions.
- Ability to use office productivity software and to assist others in using programs such as Word, Excel, and Outlook.
- Knowledge of department and the position’s responsibilities.
- Prior club experience as a member or leader
- Knowledge of or experience using the Western Involvement Network (WIN)
|AS Employment Responsibilities
- Serve the membership of the Associated Students in a professional and ethical manner by:
- Being familiar with and upholding the AS Charter, all WWU policies, and all AS policies including the Personnel Policy, Code of Conduct, and Program Standards.
- Attending all AS staff development events: pre-fall orientation, pre-winter, pre-spring, and mid-quarter staff developments.
- Being knowledgeable of the AS organization and its general operations.
- Serving on search committees as designated by the AS Personnel Director.
- Ensure the legacy of this position by:
- Working with supervisor and Personnel Director to revise and update position job description.
- Working with the previous position holder to complete a minimum of 15 hours of unpaid internship as well as providing a 15 hour internship to the incoming position holder.
- Developing and maintaining a legacy document as required by the AS Employment Policy.
|AS Club Activities Office Responsibilities
- Ensure that all students visiting the Club Hub are able to access the resources they need to be successful by:
- Assisting clubs with completing the steps necessary for successful programming, including but not limited to, room reservations, publicity requests, funding resources, completing Purchase Requests, contracts and agreements, special authorizations that may be necessary, etc.
- Facilitating the scheduling of meetings between club participants and AS Clubs Financial Manager, Club Activities Coordinator, and other AS/VU staff members, as needed.
- Becoming fully knowledgeable about policies, procedures, and the resources applicable to students participating in the club system, including financial resources.
- Ensuring that Club Hub supplies are well-stocked and accessible by clubs.
- Upon request, assisting the Club Activities Coordinator with projects or communicating with clubs.
- Actively contribute to the overall success of the Club Activities Office by:
- Staffing the Club Hub front desk to assist with incoming questions and contact from clubs for up to 19 hours each week, including 10 - 12 posted office hours.
- Attending regular one-on-one meetings with the Club Activities Coordinator.
- Attending weekly Club Hub core staff meetings (inside the Club Hub during one of the regularly-scheduled hours in the work week).
- In conjunction with the other staff members, maintaining an attractive, orderly, and clean appearance of the Club Hub space, workspaces, computer file system, storage closet, and supply cabinets.
- Facilitating the fall quarter AS Club Kickoff, which is the primary training and orientation event mandatory for all clubs at the beginning of the year, with other staff members, with direction from the Club Activities Coordinator.
- Collaborating with student staff in the ESC on joint club programs, activities, and trainings as needed.
- Serve as a financial information resource for clubs by:
- Be available to Clubs to assist them with financial matters.
- Establish and maintain a minimum of 10 office hours per week.
- Conduct Fall Quarter seminar for training all Club Budget Authorities plus as needed Student Budget Coordinator orientations.
- Work in conjunction with the AS Business Director in interpreting Associated Students fiscal policies as they apply to expenditures of AS funds.
- Assist clubs with AS Activities Council funding request development, fundraising details, basic budget management, and other financial details.
- Ensure smooth financial operation of Club Activities by:
- Coordinate and work closely with the Viking Union Finance Office on fiscally related procedures and processes for AS recognized clubs.
- Assist in the club carry forward process with the Club Activities Coordinator and VU Business Manager.
- Authorize Transfer of Funds forms, travel e-forms and WIN Purchase Requests for all AS recognized clubs which meet the policy and procedural rules of the AS Board of Directors.
- Communicate important information and updates as needed to club Budget Authorities.
- Be responsible for overseeing allocations and repayment of Activities Council funding.
- Provide training to the incoming AS Club Financial Manager during spring quarter.
- Assist the Club Activities Coordinator in reconciling club budgets on a regular basis.
- Provide insight on financial matters to clubs by:
- Devote at least a total of 15 hours per week to AS business.
- Serve as a Vice Chair member of the AS Activities Council and provide current budget information.
- Work collaboratively with the ESC student and professional staff to assist clubs with funding and purchase requests.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
||All majors are encouraged to apply.
Starting hourly wage of $15.50.
||A cover letter and resume are required and should address your experience related to the position responsibilities and the required and preferred qualifications. In your cover letter please also specifically address the following questions:
1. Why are you interested in working for the Associated Students?
2. Why are you interested in working in this position?
3. What specific skills, knowledge, and/or experience (paid and volunteer) do you have that would help you be successful in this position?
4. Will you be available for all mandatory AS Staff Development trainings (this will not conflict with school) including Fall Training between September 7th – September 18th, Winter training on Jan 4th, and Spring training on March 29th?
5. What is your schedule of availability for a job interview?
|Closing Date Notes
||Application open until April 10th.