||AS OC Equipment Shop & Bicycle Shop Coordinator 2019-2020
|About the Department
The Associated Students Equipment and Bike Shop within the Outdoor Center, provides an assortment of outdoor-related resources, gear, and educational opportunities for all students, faculty, staff, and alumni. The Equipment Shop provides rental gear for an assortment of Pacific Northwest outdoor activities. The Bike Shop provides education, advice, supplies, parts, and tools to support bicycle owners in repair and maintenance.
|About the Position
The Outdoor Center Equipment Shop Coordinator is responsible for the overall operations of the Equipment Shop and Bicycle Shop.
|Terms of Position
This is a four quarter position. This position begins the Monday one week before the first week of summer quarter and ends the Friday of finals week the following spring quarter. The position holder is required to attend AS orientation during the second week of September. Payment for the orientation and training is included in the monthly salary. This position requires an average of 15 hours per week. The position holder may work more some weeks and less other weeks depending on the office’s needs. The position holder is not required or expected to work during intersession, winter or spring breaks.
AS Employment Qualifications
- Must maintain a minimum of 6 credits for undergraduate students and 4 credits for graduate students.
- Must maintain a minimum 2.00 cumulative grade point average (GPA).
- Must be available for all AS orientations and trainings
- Must be able to uphold all AS Employment Responsibilities
- Organizational and time management skills.
- Ability to communicate and work effectively with a wide variety of people.
- Ability to work independently and responsibly, while supervising others.
- Ability to work collaboratively with multiple people and organizations.
- Ability to work within deadlines and problem solve
- Ability to work flexible hours.
- Budget management knowledge or experience.
- Basic knowledge of department and position specific responsibilities.
|AS Employment Responsibilities
Maintain the culture and integrity of the Associated Students organization by:
- Adhering to all AS Policies and By-laws.
- Upholding all AS responsibilities outlined in the AS Employment Policy
- Attending all AS staff development events
- Serving on search committees as suggested by the AS Personnel Director
Ensure the continuity of this position by:
- Working with supervisor and Personnel Director to revise and update position job description.
- Working with the current position holder to complete a minimum of 15 hours of unpaid internship
- Completing a minimum of 15 hours of internship with the incoming position holder during spring quarter
|AS OC Responsibilities
Uphold the OC mission statement by:
- Providing unbiased, nonjudgmental, and accurate information to students.
- Providing a confidential, safe, and inclusive space for students.
Enhance teamwork and camaraderie by:
- Facilitating OC staff meetings and any additional departmental activities.
Organize and participate in OC inclusive events (such as VU Late Night, Red Square Info Fair, Gear Grab, etc.) by:
- Coordinating activities, materials, and tabling schedules for OC involvement in these events.
Assess and track Equipment Shop and Bicycle Shop use and program quality by:
- Developing and maintaining tracking systems in order to assess client use, equipment used, etc.
- Collecting client evaluations, including client demographics, promotion success, relevance and success of the OC in meeting needs of the student body, etc.
Successfully manage the operations of the OC Equipment Shop and Bicycle Shop by:
- Taking overall responsibility for the OC Equipment Shop and Bicycle Shop.
- Devoting up to fifteen (15) hours per week to OC business.
- Address customer relations issues.
- Participate in trainings conducted by the Assistant Director for Viking Outdoor Recreation
Be available to the Western community and keep office an open and friendly place by:
- Maintaining at least the (10) publicly-posted office hours per week
- Ensuring that the OC is adequately staffed during business hours.
Ensure professional shop service by:
- Hiring, scheduling, supervising, and evaluating Equipment and Resource Staff (Front Desk Staff).
- Hiring, scheduling, supervising, and evaluating Bicycle Technicians.
- Hiring, scheduling, supervising, and evaluating Equipment Technicians.
Prepare all employees for success by:
- Training all staff about the operations of the Equipment Shop and Bicycle Shop.
- Training each staff member in their specific duties to ensure a smooth-running OC.
- Giving each staff member specific duties.
Ensure the successful operation of the Equipment Shop by:
- Managing the maintenance program of all rental equipment.
- Proposing and modifying operating policies and rental rates.
- Maintaining equipment amortization and new gear purchasing.
- Researching, proposing, and purchasing Equipment Shop equipment and supplies.
Ensure the successful operation of the Bicycle Shop by:
- Overseeing inventory control of the Bicycle Shop equipment, tools, and repair equipment.
- Researching, proposing, and purchasing Bicycle Shop equipment and supplies.
Maintain a cohesive and positive working environment for all OC employee by:
- Organizing and facilitating Equipment Shop and Bike Shop staff meetings.
- Continuing staff trainings throughout the year.
Ensure staff scheduling during all of the open hours scheduled for the OC by:
- Complete hiring and preliminary paperwork so as to be able to open on the first day of
- scheduled classes of each quarter.
- Assuring shop staff coverage during finals week.
Maintain the Equipment Shop and Bicycle Shop budgets by:
- Serving as the Student Budget Coordinator for the Equipment Shop, Bicycle Shop, and Equipment Amortization budgets in conjunction with the Assistant Director for Viking Outdoor Recreation.
- Invoice university and community organizations for rental usage.
Ensure a smooth transition at the end of the term of the position by:
- Provide a 15 hour internship to the incoming Equipment Shop and Bike Shop Coordinator.
Promote the Outdoor Center by
- Collaborating with the OC Marketing Coordinator to maintain adequate publicity for the Equipment and Bicycle Shop.
- Participating in the planning and execution of OC events, such as Gear Grab, etc.
- Representing the Outdoor Center at New Student Programs
||All majors are encouraged to apply.
Starting hourly wage of $13.36.
||A cover letter and resume are required and should address your experience related to the position responsibilities and the required and preferred qualifications. In your cover letter please also specifically address the following questions:
1. Why are you interested in working for the Associated Students?
2. Why are you interested in working in this position?
3. What specific skills, knowledge, and/or experience (paid and volunteer) do you have that would help you be successful in this position?
4. Will you be available for all mandatory AS Staff Development trainings (this will not conflict with school) including Summer Training on June 24th, Fall Training between September 9th – September 20th, Winter training on Jan 6th, and Spring training on March 30th?
5. What is your schedule of availability for a job interview?
|Closing Date Notes
||Application closes on April 12th.