||AS Personnel Development Coordinator 2019-2020
|About the Department
The AS Personnel Office is responsible for the Human Resources of the Associated Students. This includes, but is not limited to, upholding all aspects of the AS Employment Policy, orchestrating and overseeing all AS student employee hiring, processing all employment paperwork for AS student employees, placing work-study positions, and organizing AS-wide employee recognition and trainings. Personnel Office Staff are charged with assessing the needs of the organization concerning day-to-day activities as well as supporting AS employees whenever possible.
|About the Position
The Personnel Development Coordinator is responsible for assisting the Personnel Director with tasks. Additionally, the Development Coordinator is charged with implementing different programs for the AS and the campus, including AS Staff Development Events.
|Terms of Position
This is a four quarter position. This position starts the Monday before the start of summer classes and ends the Friday of finals week the following spring quarter. This position works an average of 15 hours per week. The position holder may work more some weeks and less other weeks depending on the office’s needs. The position holder is neither required nor expected to work during intersession, winter break or spring break.
- Maintain a minimum credit load throughout term of position of 6 credits for undergraduates and 4 credits for graduates.
- Maintain a minimum of a 2.00 cumulative grade point average.
- Ability to complete the entire term of the position.
- Prior experience with managing volunteers or employees.
- Budget management knowledge or experience.
- Demonstrated ability to work collaboratively with people of diverse backgrounds and opinions.
- Conflict management knowledge or experience.
- Basic computer skills including Microsoft Word, Excel, Publisher and Outlook.
- Strong interpersonal skills.
- Background/Knowledge in Event Planning.
- Understanding of Confidentiality.
- Basic knowledge of department and position specific responsibilities.
|AS Employment Responsibilities
- Serve the diverse membership of the Associated Students in a professional and ethical manner by:
- Being familiar with and upholding the AS Charter, all WWU policies, and all AS policies including the Employment Policy, Code of Conduct, and Program Standards.
- Attending all AS staff development events including, but not limited to: pre-fall orientation, pre-winter, and pre-spring staff developments.
- Being knowledgeable of the AS organization and its general operations.
- Serving on search committees as designated by the AS Personnel Director.
- Ensure the legacy of this position by:
- Working with supervisor and Personnel Director to revise and update position job description.
- Working with the previous position holder to complete a minimum of 15 hours of unpaid internship as well as providing a 15 hour internship to the incoming position holder.
- Developing and maintaining a legacy document as required by the AS Employment Policy.
|AS Personnel Office Responsibilities
- Develop and enhance the teamwork, communication, and effectiveness of the Personnel Office by:
- Attending all Personnel Office meetings as scheduled.
- Establishing and maintaining an effective working relationship with all Personnel Office staff.
- Planning short- and long-term goals for the Personnel Office.
- Providing support for other Personnel Office Staff.
- Maintaining regular communication with Personnel Office staff outside of meetings.
- Collecting feedback on programs & services provided by the Personnel Office
- Evaluating office strengths and weaknesses.
- Ensure that AS hiring processes are effectively implemented by:
- Planning and implementing summer, fall, mid-year, and spring hiring.
- Participating in relevant campus info fairs including, but not limited to: Campus Activities Showcase, Red Square Info Fair, etc.
- Coordinating search committees of AS employees and serving as a knowledgeable resource in the search process.
- Facilitating new hires’ paperwork (Student Employment Information Form, AS Code of Conduct, and Network Access form) in addition to the criminal conviction form if the employee will handle cash.
- Informing Student Employment of available AS positions.
- Foster working relationships with other AS and campus offices by:
- Sending regular e-mails to AS staff members.
- Working with university Human Resources, Student Employment, and the Equal Opportunity Office and other University Faculty and Staff as needed.
- Assisting with Fall Staff Development Planning Committee.
- Ensure that employment issues related to persons remain confidential by:
- Keeping the Personnel Office door and appropriate file cabinets locked when the office is unattended.
- Keeping documents with personal information, especially social security numbers, secured from public view in the office. Discuss employee evaluations, grievances, disciplinary, or other employee issues with appropriate staff and supervisors.
- Maintaining up to date organized employee records by:
- Filing new employee paperwork.
- Shredding unnecessary records.
- Help AS employees feel appreciated and valued by:
- Encouraging departmental managers to recognize their employees’ efforts.
- Participating in Personnel Office designed recognition programs.
- Ensure the office is welcoming for all AS Employees and Students-At-Large by:
- Maintaining a clean office space.
- Fostering a comfortable and inclusive environment.
- Provide support to both Associated Students employees and Students-At-Large by:
- Devoting an average of 15 hours per week to AS business.
- Establishing and maintaining 10 office hours per week.
- Assisting students and providing information about the AS, hiring procedures, and employment paperwork.
- Ensure the functionality of the Personnel Office by:
- Developing a strong working knowledge of the Associated Students organization and its structure.
- Attending Personnel Committee meetings as scheduled, as needed.
- Attending AS Board of Directors or Management Council meetings in place of the Personnel Director, as needed.
- Attending weekly Personnel Office Staff meetings.
- Assisting the Personnel Director with any aspect of the Personnel Office and assuming their responsibilities, as needed.
- Assisting with the organization and implementation of AS hiring for Summer, Fall, Winter, and Spring.
- Performing other duties as needed.
- Assisting with employee evaluation process
- Assisting with SPAC process.
- Ensure high quality professional learning experiences for all Associated Students employees by:
- Planning and implementing a minimum of two mid-quarter staff development events, that serve the needs of the AS organization and AS staff, which could include AS-wide and/or departmental trainings.
- Serving as a resource to program supervisors who wish to provide specific trainings for their staff.
- Assisting with Fall Staff Development Summer planning.
- Coordinate events during AS Spring Hiring by:
- Publicizing jobs at info fairs, and in other ways.
- Organizing and publicizing the AS Job Fair prior to AS Spring Hiring.
- Planning and implementing New Hire Night.
- Assisting Personnel Director as needed with other hiring publicity and outreach.
- Working with Publicity Center.
||All majors are encouraged to apply.
Starting hourly wage of $13.36.
||A cover letter and resume are required and should address your experience related to the position responsibilities and the required and preferred qualifications. In your cover letter please also specifically address the following questions:
1. Why are you interested in working for the Associated Students?
2. Why are you interested in working in this position?
3. What specific skills, knowledge, and/or experience (paid and volunteer) do you have that would help you be successful in this position?
4. Will you be available for all mandatory AS Staff Development trainings (this will not conflict with school) including Summer Training on June 24th, Fall Training between September 9th – September 20th, Winter Training on January 6th, and Spring Training on March 30th?
5. What is your schedule of availability for a job interview?
|Closing Date Notes
||Application open until April 12th.