The Vice Provost functions as a planner, leader and spokesperson for Western’s Outreach and Continuing Education unit (currently Extended Education), and is responsible for providing leadership and administrative management for its programs. The Vice Provost works with other university leaders on the visioning, development, and implementation of multi-site programming that meets the needs of traditional and non-traditional students, place-bound and/or returning students, and Western's various communities. The Vice Provost fosters inclusive student success, values diversity and inclusion, and sees the mission of the university as central to the role.
Overseeing activities in community learning and resources, credit and non-credit bearing academic programming, outreach services, and assisting in the development of programming at off-campus sites, the Vice Provost seeks to maintain, strengthen, and enhance positive relationships both on and off campus.
The Vice Provost recognizes the importance of national trends in college and university administration practices and in the realm of continuing/extended education. In this context, the continuing development and maintenance of strong planning is essential.
Duties and Responsibilities:
The Vice Provost is responsible for the leadership, management, and operation of Outreach and Continuing Education and its various programs. The Vice Provost supervises and directs staff within the unit to develop and periodically review mission, strategic objectives, and actions consistent with the mission of the university. The role includes facilitating the development of new programs consistent with the mission. The Vice Provost is responsible for maintaining collaborative programs and relationships with academic departments and faculty throughout the university in order to support and promote inclusive student success, particularly as it pertains to and impacts returning, non-traditional, and place-bound students.
The Vice Provost provides collaborative leadership and coordination of the activities of Outreach and Continuing Education, including but not limited to the following:
* Work as appropriate to assist the university in meeting its strategic goals and objectives.
* Participate in all-university planning and policy formation; develop, interpret, amend and enforce written policies and procedures to advance the mission of the institution in ways consistent with state laws, collective bargaining, and other agreements.
* Advocate for Outreach and Continuing Education to senior administration and other internal and external stakeholders.
* Lead the cooperative and collaborative efforts with the academic units at all university locations to respond to needs and emerging opportunities in these respective regions.
* Develop, review and maintain the administrative and budgetary functions of Outreach and Continuing Education.
* Provide coordination for the university’s relationship with Study Group, Western’s partner in providing pathway programs for international students.