Western Washington University invites applications for the position of Manager, Student Business Office (SB0) in Business and Financial Affairs (BFA). The Manager, SBO reports to the Assistant Director, SBO.
The primary purpose of the Manager, SBO is to manage and coordinate the daily operations of the SBO, standing in for the Assistant Director as needed. The position ensures that billing statements, payment processes, collections, and account refunds are accurate, timely, efficient, and in compliance with University policy and applicable statutes. Also responsible for managing and directing the student loan programs at the University.
Responsible for direction and control of student loan program operations. Tasks include:
- Maintain knowledge of complex Federal Perkins Loan regulations and interpreting them to establish daily operating tasks and procedures for the loan servicing function
- Monitor daily activity for the accuracy, timeliness and efficiency of loan billing and payment processes and collection practices
- Establish and lead training programs and schedules to ensure loan-servicing staff are current with regard to federal regulations and technology
- Collaborate with Financial Aid staff, other university departments and industry cohorts regarding the implementation of student loan programs
- Monitor operations to ensure compliance with the US Department of Education’s reporting requirements for Perkins Loans
- Review the federal loan credit reporting process to ensure that reporting is timely and accurate
- Prepare and maintain administrative and business reports and records and supervise student loan program staff engaged in producing such reports
Utilize analytical data and customer feedback to evaluate billing and collection processes within the SBO and determine appropriate action to ensure that:
- Students and other customers are billed timely and accurately
- State and Federal guidelines are followed and appropriate disclosure information is maintained
- Application of interest and late fees, placement of holds on student accounts are conducted in accordance with university policy and legal parameters
- Student and general receivable accounts are collected consistently and in a professional manner following due diligence guidelines
Utilize analytical data and process reviews to evaluate the payment operation within the SBO to ensure that:
- Payment is applied accurately
- Cash is being handled in accordance with University policy
- Payment operation complies with all PCI related policies and procedures; also collaborates with PCI team in developing PCI policies and procedures
- Optimal payment methods are implemented for customers
Communicate verbally and/or in writing with students, parents and the public in understanding the University’s fees and rates, any amounts due, and payment options; resolve issues and disputes.
Proactively determines appropriate timing for financial aid disbursements and collaborates with Financial Aid staff to align disbursement with the billing cycle; Schedules financial aid refunds in accordance with financial aid regulations, enhancing the frequency of refunding to meet the student population cash needs.
Accountable for the allocation of appropriate resources to various SBO units to meet customer needs. Ensure that department activities are coordinated efficiently and technologies are implemented effectively and proficiently to produce optimal program results. Ensure Federal and State laws are applied correctly, recommend policy and establish procedures to ensure compliance.
Responsible for team supervision, including assigning workload, setting priorities and work expectations for staff. Management duties include hiring, managing, supervising and training employees; conducting performance appraisals; ensuring that work assignments are accomplished within department objectives; recommending and imposing disciplinary action. Mentor all SBO team members, providing advice and training opportunities for career development.
Establishes and maintains contracts with various vendors, backup for Assistant Director, and other duties as assigned.