|About the University
||Western Washington University, with over 16,000 students in seven colleges and the graduate school, is nationally recognized for its educational programs, students and faculty. The campus is located in Bellingham, Washington, a coastal community of 83,000 overlooking Bellingham Bay, the San Juan Islands and the North Cascades Mountain range. The city lies 90 miles north of Seattle and 60 miles south of Vancouver, British Columbia. Western is the highest-ranking public, master's-granting university in the Pacific Northwest, according to the 2019 U.S. News & World Report rankings.
|About the Position
Fairhaven College of Interdisciplinary Studies invites individuals to apply for the Operations Manager position. This is a full-time permanent (12-month) professional staff position. Fairhaven College of Interdisciplinary Studies at Western Washington University cultivates student responsibility for designing and assessing learning through interdisciplinary inquiry, creativity, and scholarship. With an emphasis on justice, social and environmental responsibility and cultural diversity, we challenge ourselves through active, innovative, and experiential learning to examine our choices, roles, and purposes in the world.
The Operations Manager is an integral member of our college administrative team.
The Operations Manager supports the Dean, faculty, and staff of Fairhaven College of Interdisciplinary Studies and the American Cultural Studies Program. This position is central to the functioning of the College and the Operations Manager works independently within general guidelines to manage its resources and ongoing activities; provides information, analyses, counsel, and recommendations on problems and opportunities; and acts as a liaison with other University administrative offices. The Operations Manager oversees budget planning, spending and accounting for the College, handles purchases, manages personnel and payroll and monitors College facilities.
- Communicate and coordinate essential administrative functions and directives from other administrative entities including the President's office, the Provost and Academic Affairs, Human Resources, Budget Office, and Business and Financial Affairs.
- Provide direct, confidential support on problems and opportunities to the Dean through information, analyses, counsel, recommendations, and implementation.
- Coordinate facilities needs for the college and liaise with university services accordingly.
- Serve as a point of contact for college and university policies and procedures.
- Manage and delegate college event planning and preparation.
- Attend outside meetings acting as liaison for the College to other colleges or administrative units on campus.
- Interpret college data and reporting to support planning efforts.
- Collaborate with the Dean in preparing annual reviews, accreditation reports, and assessment documents.
- Review, coordinate, communicate, and implement guidelines stipulated by UFWW Collective Bargaining Agreement and classified staff bargaining agreements.
- Work with College personnel to meet University standards for operations, adhere to and meet deadlines, and promote best practices for organizational effectiveness and efficiency within University policies and procedures.
Fiscal Planning and Management
- Participate in and advise on broad long- and short-term budget planning, forecasting, and monitoring with the Dean.
- Monitor salary and benefit budgets and expenditures for the college.
- Conduct fiscal oversight of state, self-sustaining, Western Foundation, and grant funds.
- Verify and approve College purchasing activity.
- Run, reconcile, adjust, and correct monthly and annual budget, finance, position control, and salary information.
- Update Fairhaven College budget and accounting structure, procedures, and codes as programs evolve.
Personnel Resources and Supervision
- Serve as the College point of contact for faculty and staff for contract, payroll, and hiring procedures and issues.
- Inform, advise, and consult with Dean on confidential personnel matters.
- Supervise the Administrative Support and Events Coordinator of Fairhaven College.
- Prepare and submit all hiring documents for faculty, staff, and students.
- Verify and approve payroll.
- Support the Dean by organizing materials for faculty hiring, retention, promotion, and tenure decisions.
- Work closely with the Curriculum Committee Chair and Director of American Cultural Studies on the hiring of non-tenure track faculty.
- Verify procedures and rotations for faculty reviews and evaluations.
Orient faculty on university personnel, financial, administrative and facilities policies and procedures
Support faculty and staff in making travel authorizations, reservations, and submitting reimbursements, in accordance with State of Washington mandates.
Collaborate with the Scholarship and Adventure Learning Grant Committees in awarding scholarships by contributing financial information, and through data maintenance.