|About the University
||Western Washington University, with over 15,000 students in seven colleges and the graduate school, is nationally recognized for its educational programs, students and faculty. The campus is located in Bellingham, Washington, a coastal community of 83,000 overlooking Bellingham Bay, the San Juan Islands and the North Cascades Mountain range. The city lies 90 miles north of Seattle and 60 miles south of Vancouver, British Columbia. Western is the highest-ranking public, master’s-granting university in the Pacific Northwest, according to the 2017 U.S. News & World Report rankings.
|About the Department
The division of Business and Financial Affairs supports Western’s mission, which states that together with our students, staff, and faculty, we are committed to making a positive impact in the state and the world with a shared focus on academic excellence and inclusive achievement. We encourage applications from women, people of color, people with disabilities, veterans, and other candidates from underrepresented backgrounds and with diverse experiences interested in this opportunity.
|About the Position
The Management Consultant/Division Budget Officer reports to the Associate Vice President for Business and Financial Affairs (BFA). This position will provide division-level analytics, budgeting, and management consultation support to the Vice President, Associate Vice President, and divisional leadership. This position leads the development of key performance metrics and operational data to improve management and business practices and assists with progress towards departmental and divisional strategic objectives. This position manages the reporting of metrics on improvement goals to the VP. This position is also the Division Budget Officer and responsible for providing budgetary support to divisional leadership, including developing the annual division budget and forecasting and monitoring of departmental revenues and budgets. Additionally, this position will be responsible for proposing, leading, and collaborating on division-level special projects as approved by the Vice President, Associate Vice President, and other divisional leadership.
BFA Divisional Management Consultant
Provides strategic level management consulting services to the Vice President, Associate Vice President, and divisional leadership, including supporting implementation of continuous process improvement (best practices) through the Business Process Improvements Initiative (BPII) Committee; creating and maintaining key performance indicators; leading the development of division and departmental data, analytics, reporting, and leading special projects to further the division’s strategic objectives. Tasks include:
- Assists division and departmental management with developing best practices and business processes. Creates relevant data sets, provides data analytics and analysis with narratives, and reports findings to the Vice President, Associate Vice President, and divisional leadership.
- Works with divisional leadership on continuous process improvement goals.
- Provides business intelligence and predictive analytics to the Vice President, Associate Vice President, and divisional leadership at the divisional and departmental levels on best practices and business processes.
- Tracks divisional and departmental operational data to measure progress towards strategic objectives and to provide data-driven insight.
- Provides division-level support for the implementation and management of programs, organizational processes, organizational change, and other divisional business decisions and improvements.
BFA Division Budget Officer
Develops budget forecasts and monitors and reviews budget activity with the Vice President, Associate Vice President, and divisional leadership on an ongoing basis. Provides financial support to divisional leadership as needed, Tasks include:
- Oversees the development of annual and biennial state, self-sustaining and budgets for the division.
- Monitors, processes and maintains positional budget activity and information for the division, including processing all employee personnel action forms for hiring, promotions, transfers, and terminations.
- Oversees and analyzes the divisional state and self-sustaining budgets including one-time requests and salary savings. Prepares reports and provides information to the Vice President for review and approval.
- Monitors and maintains funds and monthly expenditures for the Vice President and Associate Vice President.
- Prepares budget reports as requested by the Vice President and divisional leadership to assist leadership with analyzing fund balances and budget variances; monitoring financial trends and developing projections; developing long-term planning documents; and prioritizing the use of limited resources.
- Coordinates and provides reporting on divisional budget activities to the University’s Budget office on a routine basis and as-requested by the Budget office.
- Maintains and updates BFA division budget activity calendar in coordination with the Budget office. Monitors calendar events to ensure timely completion of events.
- Serves on the Budget Management Advisory Council and the Budget Working Group.
- Supports the Vice President, Associate Vice President, and divisional leadership with ad hoc projects.