Temporary Skilled Trades
Work type: Temporary Staff Pool
Location: Bellingham, WA
Categories: Business and Financial Affairs, Academic Affairs, College of Humanities & Social Science, College of Business of Economics, College of Fine & Performing Arts, College of Science & Engineering, Enrollment & Student Services, Fairhaven College, Huxley College, President, University Advancement, University Relations, Woodring College of Education, Skilled Trades
||Temporary Skilled Trades
|About the University
||Western Washington University, with over 15,000 students in seven colleges and the graduate school, is nationally recognized for its educational programs, students and faculty. The campus is located in Bellingham, Washington, a coastal community of 83,000 overlooking Bellingham Bay, the San Juan Islands and the North Cascades Mountain range. The city lies 90 miles north of Seattle and 60 miles south of Vancouver, British Columbia. Western is the highest-ranking public, master’s-granting university in the Pacific Northwest, according to the 2017 U.S. News & World Report rankings.
|About the Department
||We support Western’s mission to bring together individuals of diverse backgrounds and perspectives in an inclusive, student-centered university that develops the potential of learners and the well-being of communities. We encourage applications from women, people of color, people with disabilities, veterans, and other candidates from underrepresented backgrounds and with diverse experiences interested in this opportunity.
|About the Position
As one of our temporary skilled trades, your responsibilities will be dependent upon your position (Electrician, HVAC, etc); a basic list of responsibilities includes:
- Reading and interpreting blueprints
- Framing walls, ceilings, doors, etc. using wood and metal material
- Fabricating and installing bulletin boards, white boards, blackboards, shelving, etc.
- Safely using hand tools and operating power equipment such as saws, jointers, sanders, planers, and boring and mortising machines
- Operating gas powered machinery
- Laying out, fabricating, and installing mechanical and electrical/electronic equipment
- Employing technical accuracy and record keeping skills
- Following appropriate PPE requirements
- Using ladders and/or manlifts
- Working outdoors in all types of weather
- Performing snow/ice removal
- Accessing small work areas such as ducting/crawl spaces
- Performing semi-skilled maintenance and construction
- Loading and unloading trucks
- High school graduate or equivalent
- Effective communication skills, including written
- Ability to perform essential functions with or without reasonable accommodation
- Working knowledge and experience in given trade
- Applicable license(s) for trade
- Technical communication skills
- Experience working in commercial or institutional settings
- Tools and equipment operation experience
||Varies on position/qualifications
||This position is part of a Washington Federation of State Employees bargaining union. New employees are required to meet the membership requirements of the current collective bargaining agreement at 350 hours worked.
A cover letter and resume are required and should address your trades experience and any licenses/certifications you currently hold.
Please include the names and contact information of three professional references.
|Closing Date Notes
Western Washington University (WWU) is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer committed to assembling a diverse, broadly trained faculty and staff. Women, minorities, people with disabilities and veterans are strongly encouraged to apply. In compliance with applicable laws and in furtherance of its commitment to fostering an environment that welcomes and embraces diversity, WWU does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, creed, religion, national origin, sex (including pregnancy and parenting status), disability, age, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status or genetic information in its programs or activities, including employment, admissions, and educational programs. See WWU’s Policy on Ensuring Equal Opportunity and Prohibiting Discrimination and Retaliation. Inquiries may be directed to the Vice Provost for Equal Opportunity and Employment Diversity, Title IX and ADA Coordinator, Equal Opportunity Office, Western Washington University, Old Main 345 (MS 9021), 516 High Street, Bellingham, WA 98225; 360.650.3307 (voice) or 711 (Washington Relay); firstname.lastname@example.org
WWU is committed to providing reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities upon request. To request this document in an alternate format or to request an accommodation, please contact Human Resources Disability Services, 360.650.3774 or 711 (Washington Relay).
All new employees must comply with the immunization policy and show employment eligibility verification as required by the U.S. Citizen and Immigration Service before beginning work at WWU. A thorough background check will be conducted on all new hires.
Job no: 495889
Advertised: Pacific Daylight Time
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend