||Onboarding and Talent Development Specialist
|About the University
||Western Washington University, with over 15,000 students in seven colleges and the graduate school, is nationally recognized for its educational programs, students and faculty. The campus is located in Bellingham, Washington, a coastal community of 83,000 overlooking Bellingham Bay, the San Juan Islands and the North Cascades Mountain range. The city lies 90 miles north of Seattle and 60 miles south of Vancouver, British Columbia. Western is the highest-ranking public, master’s-granting university in the Pacific Northwest, according to the 2017 U.S. News & World Report rankings.
|About the Department
||The Human Resources Department supports Western’s mission to bring together individuals of diverse backgrounds and perspectives in an inclusive, student-centered university that develops the potential of learners and the well-being of communities. We encourage applications from women, people of color, people with disabilities, veterans, and other candidates from underrepresented backgrounds and with diverse experiences interested in this opportunity.
|About the Position
As our Onboarding and Talent Development Specialist, you will lead Western's onboarding of new employees, connect performance assessments with professional development resources and work within a team providing organizational and professional development services to University departments and individual employees.
You will work with a particular focus on university values, employee engagement, leadership development, team-building, team effectiveness, communications, provision of employee development classes and coaching to employees of the University.
Your responsibilities will include:
- Assisting in the design and coordination of campus-wide efforts to successfully onboard new-hires and promotions including: executive, professional staff, classified staff and faculty positions
- Study and expand new employee orientation and new employee networking events
- Assist in the design and delivery of systems to connect new-hires and promotions with mentors
- Work with stakeholders to gather data regarding onboarding effectiveness, retention, and opportunities for continuous improvement
- Assess and initiate best practices in onboarding and performance management and lead or assist in the implementation of systems
- Providing Professional Development Services to University departments and individual employees
- Assist with University-wide or divisional professional development plans
- Regularly provide individualized and customized training and professional development as part of the Professional Development services of the unit
- Provide individualized Executive Coaching as a means of personalized leadership development
- Work with unit leaders to collaboratively design and present/facilitate retreats
- Providing Organizational Development Services to University departments and individual employees
- Work collaboratively with University administration and other sponsors to create and implement leadership development and organizational development plans
- Assist in performing climate surveys and team interventions for larger teams, programs, and units across campus
- Complete organizational reviews, including assessing current organizations and how they function, how parts are interrelated, strengths and weaknesses, and alignment to core mission and purpose; includes performing Gap Analysis
- Interpret review data and develop organizational change recommendations
- Assist in implementation of reorganizations
- Collaborate in organizational change management efforts when departments undergo re-organization, implement new systems, or have other changes
- Focus on assisting leaders in efforts to build healthy teams and reinforce active employee engagement
- Performing a variety of other professional development tasks, including team building activities, meeting facilitation, coordination of internal and external trainers, tracking of campus-wide training attendance, etc.
This is a project-employment position ending August 2020.
- Bachelor's degree in Organizational Development/Behavior, Education, Industrial/Organizational Psychology, Human Resources, Human Services, Social Work, Business, or other allied fields
- Five years of experience related to talent management systems, leadership consulting, organizational development, professional development, and/or human resources, or an equivalent combination of education and experience
- Knowledge of commonly-used concepts, practices, and procedures of adult learning, organizational development and talent development
- Demonstrated excellence in ability to work effectively, network and build connections with employees of diverse identities and experiences
- Demonstrated capacity for high productivity and independent time management, with demonstrated success planning and accomplishing goals
- Demonstrated excellence in use of professional judgement, teamwork, communication, situational awareness, and critical thinking
- Demonstrated effectiveness in written and verbal communication
- Demonstrated effectiveness in emotional intelligence (self-awareness, self-regulation, empathetic awareness of others and application of awareness) to create trust, inclusivity, and effectiveness
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office products
- Experience working in higher education
- A Master's degree in an allied field or an equivalent education and/or experience
- Experience working as part of a Human Resources team
- Experience administrating a Learning Management System (LMS)
- Experience working with survey systems such as qualtrics and survey monkey
||Starting salary is approximately $55,500 to $64,500 depending on years of experience. This is a project-employment position ending August 2020.
A cover letter and resume are required and should address your experience related to the position responsibilities and the required and preferred qualifications. Please also include an additional document addressing your ability to work effectively with employees of diverse identities and experiences.
Please include the names and contact information of three professional references.
|Closing Date Notes
||Application review begins June 25, 2018; position is open until filled